In this section:
About Coops – Setting Up a Co-op – Our Network of Co-ops – ECI Benefits – ICOS Benefits
Join our Strong Network of Irish Energy Cooperatives
We support community-based renewable energy co-operatives at every stage of their development:
- guiding them through the legal process of setting up a co-operative
- advising them on their dealings with state agencies, the SEAI, local councils, the Departments of Environment and of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
- introducing them to our EU-wide network of co-operatives where they can learn from best practice examples
- helping them communicate their message locally and nationally.
What help can we give your community group?
We will assist you in your establishment as a legal co-op and provide you with the following services:
- Information on the legal requirements and benefits of creating a co-op.
- Co-op support from ICOS: National oversight body of Co-operatives in Ireland: over 100 years of experience and 150 member co-ops
- Membership of RESCOOP: the Europe-wide association of renewable energy co-ops
- Access to relevant information concerning grants from organizations such as Enterprise Ireland and SEAI.
- Access to a rapidly growing network of renewable energy co-operatives.
- Help with to deal with local and national level policymakers.
- Advice on the renewable energy technologies best suited to your projects.
Establishing a viable energy co-operative, if not done right, can be a complex and time-consuming enterprise. Many co-operatives become bogged-down in this work and fail to reach their full potential or worse they collapse, creating significant local ill-will. ECI with its partners in ICOS will assist you in establishing your co-op efficiently and quickly, putting it on a firm foundation, and giving it access to an EU-wide network.
There are no fees for Energy Co-op Ireland’s assistance in co-op formation – we want to see the network grow and flourish bringing more community energy projects to fruition.
ICOS does charge a fee for its legal advice in setting up your co-op. This includes Company Registration Fees, but is money well spent and will benefit you and your community far into the future.
Contact us at: 0866784063
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’d be delighted to answer your queries and with the other established co-ops in our network help you on your journey towards a rewarding sustainable future with your community energy project.